Michelle Leinfelder-Miles Ph.D.
2101 East Earhart Avenue, Suite 200
Stockton, CA 95206
Contra Costa County
Capitol Corridor MCP Cooperative Extension
Michelle grew up on a farm in San Joaquin County. She received her B.S. in Crop Science and Management from U.C. Davis and her M.S. and Ph.D. in Horticulture from Cornell University. At Cornell, her research focused on soil management in apple orchards. Michelle has also done research in Spain, Chile, and New Zealand studying olives, wine grapes, and kiwifruit, respectively. As the Delta farm advisor, she serves San Joaquin, Sacramento, Yolo, Solano, and Contra Costa counties addressing issues related to crop production and water and soil resource management.
SpecialtyCrop Production, Soil and Water Resources, the Delta
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Field Crops - General
- Plant Management Systems
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
- Water Quality, Quantity, and Security
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Long R.F., M. Leinfelder-Miles, K. Mathesius, K. Bali, S. Light, M. Galla, S. Mueller, A. Fulton, N. Clark, and R.D. Meyer (2019). Garbanzo production in California. University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. ANR Publication 8634, 18. January 2019.
- MedellÃn-Azuara, J., Paw U, K.T., Jin, Y. Jankowski, J., Bell, A.M., Kent, E., Clay, J., Wong, A., Alexander, N., Santos, N., Badillo, J., Hart, Q., Leinfelder-Miles, M., Lund, J.R., Anderson, A., Anderson, M., Chen, Y., Edgar, D., Eching, S., Freiberg, S., Gong, R., GuzmÃ¡n, A., Howes, D., Johnson, L., Kadir, T., Lambert, J.J., Liang, L., Little, C., Melton, F., Metz, M., MorandÃ©, J.A., Orang, M., Pyles, R.D., Post, K., Roosevelt, C., Sarreshteh, S., Snyder, R.L., Trezza, R., Temegsen, B., Viers, J.H. (2018). A Comparative Study for Estimating Crop Evapotranspiration in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Davis, CA, Center for Watershed Sciences, UC Davis. 1-88. March 2018. https://watershed.ucdavis.edu/project/delta-et
- Espe, M.B., J.E. Hill, M. Leinfelder-Miles, L.A. Espino, R. Mutters, D. Mackill, C. van Kessel, B.A. Linquist (2018). "Rice yield improvements through plant breeding are offset by inherent yield declines over time." Field Crops Research 222: 59-65.
- Espe, M.B (2017). "Point stresses during reproductive stage rather than warming seasonal temperature determines yield in temperate rice." Global Change Biology
- Leinfelder, M. M.; Merwin, I. A. (2012). "Soil health indicators, apple tree growth, and carbon sequestration differ among orchard groundcover management systems." Acta Horticulturae 938: 333-340.
- Leinfelder, Michelle M.; Merwin, I. (2007). "Management strategies for apple replant disease." New York Fruit Quarterly Spring 2006: 4.
- Leinfelder, M. M.; Merwin, I. A. (2006). "Rootstock selection, preplant soil treatments, and tree planting positions as factors in managing apple replant disease." Hortscience 41(2): 394-401.
- Fazio, G.; Robinson, T. (2005). "Traits of the next wave of GenevaÂ® apple rootstocks." The Compact Fruit Tree 38: 5.